Thursday, February 4, 2021

Running our Race -- at our own pace! Part 2 ~ Goals

 "When the going gets tough, the tough get going ...

... whether they feel like it or not!"

Part 2 ~ Goals


My medal for running a 5K with daughter Jacquie and granddaughter Destinee in 2006 in Huntington Beach (Surf City) CA when I was just 60! Of course we were awarded a t-shirt!


I attained my goal to run the Rose Bowl 1/2 marathon back in the 70's.

And just a few weeks ago I reached another goal -- I turned 75!

"Alive at 75!" is my latest motto!

When my Mama went to heaven at the young age of 66 

I made a goal to reach 66 ... and I did!

Since then, every year I make a new goal ... 70 ... and now 75!

The path wasn't easy. I suffered a heart attack at 49, a knee replacement at 70,

and now I have issues with my back, right leg and hip.  Ugh!

I still have goals. I don't have a goal to run another 5K

but hopefully I'll reach my goal to 'walk' a 5K!


Here is another excerpt from my original manuscript, Let Us Run that is included in my published novel

Lady on the Run

Goals bring forth another quality to our race.  Strength.  When we gradually extend ourselves to reach our physical goals, our body continues to strengthen.  The higher the hill, the harder we work.  And as we patiently run towards that goal, our legs, heart, and lungs work together, giving us the ability to forge ahead.  Finally, we reach our goal, and how do we feel?  Most likely tired.  But much stronger!  We reached our goal.  We are physically fit and prepared to fight off any obstacle that should try to attack our body.

And so it is with our spiritual race.  We approach that hill, which often seems like a mountain, and we begin to seek God through His word, prayer, and fellowship.  You can hear Him with your spiritual ears saying, You can do this.

The higher the hill--no matter how high--the harder we have to fight.  As we patiently run towards our goal, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit works together through us, and we forge ahead.  And guess what?  We reach our goal!  What a challenge!  What victory!  How do we feel?  Most likely tired, but much stronger.  We are spiritually fit and prepared to fight off any obstacle that Satan puts before us.  Through the years, I've had to fight spiritual battles regarding my family.  I'm sometimes blindsided so my mind starts to play tricks on me.  I worry.  Then fear hits.  That's when I adjust my spiritual armor and pray!  When I see the results, I raise my hands in victory!  Another battle won!

After running The Los Angeles Athletic Club 10K race (my first 10K race) I was inspired to set a goal to reach my dream of running the thirteen-mile Rose Bowl half-marathon.  Another challenge.  Another victory!

Perhaps you have no desire to run six miles, or even three, you might want to set a goal of one mile or two miles several times a week.  Perhaps you'd rather increase your speed, or your time.  Whatever suits you and your schedule will work best for you.  Make your goal attainable, always building up gradually.  Your heavenly trainer will take you one physical step at a time, just as He does in your spiritual race.

For it is precept upon precept,

line upon line, here a little, there a little.

Isaiah 28:10

As you reach one goal, you may want to set another.  A few women in my running class who started with a goal of two miles ended up running several 10K runs with me.  Some women increased their speed, while others increased their distance.  My mentor and forever friend, Mary, chose to train with me to run our first half-marathon.  At 56, she always kept up with my 34-year-old body!

There more you run, jog, or walk, as millions of women testify, running can be addictive.  From my personal experience and from those of other runners, a warning is due.  Just when you're settling in a great running routine, Satan will try to hinder you from reaching your goals.  He will put obstacles in your path to keep you from running the race that is set before you.


My first 10K run in Los Angeles 1978

Oh the joy as I crossed the finish line in the Los Angeles Coliseum!

Home of the 1932 and 1984 Summer Olympics


My first obstacle came while training for my first 10K.  I had been running before, during, and after my runs with an annoying pain in my right ankle.  There were days when I was tempted to give up.  Recognizing this as an obstacle, I iced my ankle and declared, "I'm not giving up and I claim victory in Jesus!"  Slowly, the pain disappeared.  I thanked Him, and continued pressing on to the L.A. 10K race.

What victory we often forfeit in our lives by giving up too soon.  Many blessings we'll receive as we overcome the obstacles in our path.  When our goals are finally reached, nothing can take the place of that feeling of victory.

However, I must add that if or when you are in continuous pain in any area of your body, you should consult with your doctor.

I'll be talking about Boredom in my next blog.  Yes, we can get bored running, walking, just with life in general.  So tune in next time.  Until then,

Whether near or far, keep reading and keep that body movin'!


www.amazon.com/author/www.sharonleaf.com


 



 

No comments:

On life's journey, whether traveling around the world or walking around your block, there's lots to learn about life, faith, friendship and fun! so lets dive into a new ocean together ... and lets keep that body movin'!