Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Running our Race -- at our own Pace! Part 1 ~ Discipline

"When the going gets tough ... the tough keep going ...

... whether they feel like it or not!

Part 1 ~ Discipline

Rosie running up the hills behind her house
La Habra Heights, California


A note from Rosie* to Sharon:

"You never really understood me.

What I really want is to run free for the rest of my days.

Simple freedom to run where my body and spirit take me.

No car.  No plane.  Just me."

*Rosie is the main character (protagonist) in my books


On my Lady on the Run Facebook page I asked what topic would you like me to cover.

(running, walking, strolling, or whatever your exercise-of-choice may be)

Carolyn, an avid runner, jumped in:

"How about mindset to keep going when the going gets tough?"

"Great idea", I answered.

So I'm sharing what I wrote in my original 1974 non-fiction manuscript

"Let Us Run"

It is also in the back of my latest book

"Lady on the Run"

This is a sample of what I taught in my running class back in the '70s ...

... the journey of running your physical race and your spiritual race -- at your own pace!

Running is my special time, but I confess there are days when I must push myself out the door.  Most of my running time is enjoyable, but there are other times when it's just plain work.  But joy comes afterwards, when I've finished my physical race.

This is true of my spiritual race.  There are times when I have to push myself to read my Bible, pray, and even go to church.  Most of the time it's enjoyable, but some times it is work.  However, the joy comes afterwards, when I've finished.  I call it "crossing the finish line!"

Self-discipline enters all areas of our lives, physical, mental, and spiritual.  We often have to exercise self-discipline to attain the things of value in our lives, whether it's being a helpful wife, a joyful mother, a successful businesswoman, or a faithful runner.  To be successful at the tasks-at-hand is not always easy.  They require a combination of self-discipline and patience.  God will always do His part, but we must do our part as well.  Sometimes we expect God to do it all, but if He did, we would miss the many blessings intended for us.

Our salvation didn't come easy.  Jesus had to obey the will of His Father by humbling Himself to die on the cross.  And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.  Philippians 2:8.

By Jesus doing His part, God could do His part.  Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name ...  Philippians 2:9.

Through the name of Jesus we not only have eternal life with Him, but we can experience an abundant life right now.  I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.  John 10:10.

Women often express to me their excuses for not running.  But true confession usually follows.  Want an example?  I'm just not disciplined enough ... or ... I don't want to put forth the effort ....

Lack of discipline is the major problem most women face for not running (or walking).  Why are we so hesitant to reveal this weakness?  Once I acknowledged my lack of discipline as a weakness in my life, I knew that I would have to do something about it.  Bummer.  But you see, Jesus wants us to live a disciplined life for our own good.  When I finally made the choice to exercise self-discipline, it was the beginning of a new way of life.  It did not come easy.  It took months, and yes, that word again--patience.  When I was single I would often come home from work exhausted, just wanting to grab my bag of Fritos and a glass of wine and turn on the TV.  

For running to become part of my daily schedule I had to establish my priorities so I took inventory of my schedule, asking myself a few questions.  If you're finding it difficult to fit running into your already busy schedule, perhaps you too should ask yourself these questions:

  • What is more beneficial, grabbing my Fritos and turning on the TV (but it's my favorite program!) OR taking that time to run off those extra calories?
  • What is more beneficial, lying in my warm bed an extra thirty minutes in the morning (I need my beauty rest!) OR running out and creating that extra energy needed for the day?
  • What is more beneficial, sitting by my window sipping my second cup of coffee as I watch the dedicated runners go by (it's too cold outside!) OR running out the door and creating my own body heat?

No wonder I was so out of condition.  When I was home and the kids were at school, without realizing, I had many idle hours filling my days resulting in a semi-sedentary lifestyle.  Yes, even with kids!

Once I established running as one of my top priorities, I had to exercise discipline to keep running.  An example?  I often had to give a polite no thank you to a friend when asked to join them for breakfast after I had already made plans to run while the kids were at school.

Take inventory of your daily schedule and you'll discover a few activities you can omit, or cut down, or reschedule.  Once you realize the importance of running (energy, health, and mental awareness) you'll include running at the top of your priority list.   

When you accomplish this, both physically and spiritually, you will be set free from the bondage of guilt, frustration, condemnation, laziness, defeat, and all other negative feelings that come with an undisciplined life.  I am not perfected in this area but with the help of the Holy Spirit, I'm patiently running toward that goal.  And as I run, there are other valuable lessons.  Do you have time for an example?  (If not, finish reading this blog later)

Running with Jesus running class 1978


I was training for my first 10K race (6.2 miles) in Los Angeles when the Lord had an opportunity to teach me the value of pacing.  While running down Lindauer Lane one morning, I found my feet dragging my body along.  I started talking to myself, Why is my run so hard?  I'm going slower than usual so it should be easier.  That's when my heavenly trainer began speaking to my spirit.  Actually, you make it harder by dragging your feet.  When you run at the pace I have set for you, you will find your race to be much more comfortable.  

Listen to your body.

So I began listening to my body and started experimenting until I found the pace that was right for me.  But then came the challenge.  While running my first 10K race in L.A. I looked around.  There I was, talking to myself again!  Why are men, women, and children of all ages passing me?  

I was compelled to speed up to avoid being left in their dust.  However, after awhile I began noticing that a few of those runners were dropping behind and I was passing them--at my own pace!  The Lord reminded me, Some people charge out ahead but fall behind because they have not learned the secret of running at their own pace.  In our everyday language, that's called burnout.

By the time of the Rose Bowl marathon, my pace was minutes faster and I was feeling a sense of inward pride.  Look at me passing all these runner (pat on the back).  Once again my heavenly trainer spoke to me in His special way.  Now, don't let this go to your head.  Better is is to be of a humble spirit with the lowly than to divide the spoil with the proud.  Yes, Lord, I hear you loud and clear.  Through the years I've tried to keep a sense of humble pride. (hmm, I wonder if that's scriptural)

Now instead of lagging behind or speeding ahead, I run at the pace that He has set before me.  This is vital to running a successful physical race and spiritual race.

After finding your own peaceful pace as I call it, you can begin setting personal goals, giving you the motivation that is oftentimes needed.  

We shall talk about goal setting in my next blog!

And remember ...

whether near or far,

keep reading and keep those bodies movin'!


www.amazon.com/author/www.sharonleaf.com


www.sharonleaf.blogspot.com




No comments:

On life's journey, whether traveling around the world or walking around your block, there's lots to learn about life, faith, friendship and fun! so lets dive into a new ocean together ... and lets keep that body movin'!