Friday, March 5, 2010

Old Friends, New Wine

Rob and I were in Nipomo, California last week to be with Rob's friend of 40+ years after he lost his wife last Sunday. After the memorial service, Bernie asked Rob to spend the night with him, so I drove to Morro Bay to spend the night with my 86-year-old friend, Mary. She brought out her best wine and we toasted, "La Chaim! To Life!" What a refreshing joy to spend time with MY dear friend of 40+ years. We used to run 10K's together, and then our big half marathon. We trained together once a week, running and talking, then going to breakfast...more talking about family, friendship, our love for the Lord and for life. Her secret to a long, happy life? "Enjoy each moment and savor the every-day blessings from God." I always leave Mary feeling a bit younger, and a lot wiser.

It was an emotional trip. Although we know Bernie's wife is with the Lord, it didn't change the fact that he was walking around like a little boy lost. After twenty-eight years of marriage, he was now alone in their big beautiful home. It makes you count your blessings all over again as you think of what life would be without your mate. I came home a little more thankful.

I'm back in my beautiful home, with my wonderful husband, and sweet Popcorn. I miss my family back in California, but I'm thankful that they are making their own memories. When our paths cross, we celebrate life. The Lord wants us to enjoy His goodness every day. Our time here is brief compared to our future in eternity with Him. What are you doing to make this day your best ever?
Oceans of blessings, Sharron*
p.s. *As on my birth certificate (picture of Mary & I in her home, February 28, 2010)

1 comment:

debra123 said...

I love your straight forward and up lifting writings. Thank you for sharing your life with us. Debbie K.

On life's journey, whether traveling around the world or walking around your block, there's lots to learn about life, faith, friendship and fun! so lets dive into a new ocean together ... and lets keep that body movin'!