Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Life, Death and Birthdays


Dad is celebrating his birthday today, and Monday was the 23rd anniversary of when my beloved Mother went to be with the Lord at the young age of 66. I wish Mom were here to blow out her 89 candles, and I'm wishing I was in Zion, Utah to watch Daddy blow out his 87. I was there last August for the occasion, but my brother and I agreed that this year I would wait until October, when the weather is perfect, so Dad can enjoy the great outdoors. But still, part of me longs to be next to him as he blows out his candles.

~ So I'll wait until October to sit with him on the patio that overlooks the majestic Zion National Park. I look forward to his World War II stories, especially the one when he met Mom at a local canteen in Sumter, South Carolina. I've heard the story countless times, but I love seeing his smile light up his wrinkled face as he tells of how they danced all night. Then I remind him of when I was a little girl and we danced in our living room to the tunes of Glenn Miller and Rosemary Clooney*. "You were my personal dance instructor," I tease. Then as I glance at the wheelchair that holds his shaking body, I shed a tear.

~ Mom is gone, and Dad bravely lives his life with Parkinson's Decease. "Getting old is not for sissies," he often says. That's right, Dad. And you're no sissy. You are one of the bravest men I know.

~ I know we'll all be together one day, not celebrating birthdays, but celebrating life--throughout eternity! Now, that's something to smile about. In fact, that makes me feel like dancing! Anyone care to join me?
Oceans of blessings, Sharon
* You can dance to Sway by Rosemary Clooney on my FaceBook wall
Picture: Daddy and my son Shawn at Dad's 85th birthday in California 07.

No comments:

On life's journey, whether traveling around the world or walking around your block, there's lots to learn about life, faith, friendship and fun! so lets dive into a new ocean together ... and lets keep that body movin'!