Friday, July 31, 2009

Steps to becoming a famous writer...

After browsing on an author's Facebook site today, I became momentarily depressed. She was at a Christian writer's conference last week, and there was a teeth whitening company and a botox corporation handing out their business cards to all the new and upcoming writers! Now, the writer I was Facebooking is in her 30's and she's beautiful. So as I sit here in my office with my Colgate whitening strips on my uppers and lowers, and scotch tape on my eyelids, I'm asking myself, is it too late for this 63-year-old great-grandmother* to become a famous author in this pro-white-teeth-botox generation?
~ I called Aunt Eunice for consolation and just hearing her voice gave me solace. After she quoted the famous It's not what's on the outside that matters; it's the inside that counts, she belted out at the top of her lungs the 60's song, Beauty's Only Skin Deep, yeah, yeah, yeah. Thanks, Aunt Eunice, I needed that.
~ The media is constantly trying to sell us a bill of goods, but it's our choice whether we buy into it. I hear that 60 is the new 40, but as we get older, why can't we be satisfied with looking our best without all the pain and expense?
~ So I tore the scotch tape off my eyelids--ouch!--and ripped the whitening strips off my teeth--ugh. And if people don't like the way I look, they can---look the other way! And furthermore, it's not how great the writer looks, it's how great the writer writes.
~ I close with a simple word from the Lord: Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised. Proverbs 31:30
Oceans of blessings, Sharon
* On Sunday, our 24-year-old grandson's wife gave birth to a darling baby boy, Liam Corbin Bantau, 9lb8oz!

No comments:

On life's journey, whether traveling around the world or walking around your block, there's lots to learn about life, faith, friendship and fun! so lets dive into a new ocean together ... and lets keep that body movin'!