Monday, June 12, 2017

Lady Traveler tips on preparing you for your next journey

When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money.
Then take half the clothes and twice the money

Overnight bag purchased in Istanbul  2008 

Robinski and I are on the road in our motor home, Moon River.
We'll be gone for two months.

Popcorn ready to hit the road in Moon River,
our 40-foot American Tradition motor home

Traveling is fun!
Preparing for the journey is not so much fun.
However, preparation is necessary to entail a successful and fun trip.
Whether we travel near or far,
whether for two months, two weeks, or two days,
we need to throw something in a suitcase, a backpack, or a bag.

 Two week trip to Costa Rica  June 2014
Rob's backpack.  My backpack.
And a large purse (already in our rented little SUV)

Most of you know the necessities ... don't you?
Toothbrush, toothpaste, make-up, and oh, yeah,
underwear.
At one time or another, I've forgotten all of the above.

Actually, wherever we travel, 
we can buy almost anything we need 
at a nearby store.
Except, perhaps, in some third-world countries.
I remember Siberia quite well
where I had to carry my own toilet paper.

Two week trip to Paris  September 2014
My carry-on and a large purse.
Rob: one carry-on and small backpack

I can give more packing details upon request,
(leave a comment and I'll be happy to answer)
but I feel the most important aspect of any trip is to
prepare emotionally and spiritually.
Many surprises can occur along our journey.
If I haven't spent time in prayer and reading my Bible,
I can easily come undone.
Just ask Robinski.  On second thought, please don't.

Now, don't fret ... I'm not talking about spending hours on your knees
(although I'm sure you'd come away lighter and happier),
And I'm not saying you must read your Bible for hours at a time
(although you'd most likely come away stronger and mightier).
Begin right where you are.
Believe me, a little is better than nothing.
I usually read a variety of one-page devotionals in a sitting,
then I say a prayer similar to The Lord's Prayer.*

My bags are packed, now I'm ready to go.  Are you ready to go ...
... to another country ... to a different state ... to the next town?
It's not that difficult at all, so ...

Here's wishing you oceans of travel packing!

Please feel free to add any suggestions that you may have
in the comment box below.

(To remember the words, I'll sing the following scripture as I write 
... so glad I'm alone, except for Popcorn, and she's hiding under the bed)


*THE LORD'S PRAYER

*Our Father, who art in Heaven,
hallowed be thy name.
Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done,
on earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day, our daily bread,
And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the Kingdom,
and the Power, and the Glory,
FOREVER.
Amen

Matthew 6:6-13

No comments:

On life's journey, whether traveling around the world or walking around your block, there's lots to learn about life, faith, friendship and fun! so lets dive into a new ocean together ... and lets keep that body movin'!