Thursday, July 2, 2015

To Wimberley, Texas with Love, Part 2

June 2015: Flood waters in Wimberley, Texas destroyed bridge

Inasmuch, as you did it not to one of the least of these brothers and sisters, 
you did for Me.
Matthew 25:45


Where do I begin to tell you of both the heartbreak and restoration of the people
that Christ In Action (CIA) was able to touch 
physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
It's all about restoration.

A hard days work, but so rewarding

Rob and I spent seven days working with our CIA team at various locations.
Rob at Camp Hope, doing what he does best:
fixing what is not working.

Me?
I was out in the field, 8:30am to 5pm.
Scraping mud and mold, top to bottom, in order to save someone's beloved home.
After CIA's large machinery moved trees and rubble to the edge of streets for eventual pick-up.
our ground team began shoveling, sweeping, picking up tree limbs and debris, then 
wheelbarrowing to large piles near streets for pickup.
Over and over.  Hour after hour.
My daily 'work pack'
This says it all; my green spray bottle of water was refreshing in 98+ degree weather

How did this almost-70-year-old lady do it?
I told the Lord,
"If you have called me to do this,
then you will have to give me the strength."
And He did!
Several of the young, sweet gals whispered to me,
"Sharon, can you slow down just a little?
You are running circles around us!"
That was music to this old gal's ears.
Honestly, with my left knee waiting for a knee-replacement,
I know it was Jesus who gave me the strength
for those seven long, hot days.
As the Apostle Paul says in Galatians 6:14:

May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, 
through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Then there was the tearing down of those houses that were condemned.
That was the hardest task.

The sadness of it all.
It makes you stop and take notice.
One moment your sleeping comfortable in your home.
Then in the next minute,
your world changes forever as 
flood waters come crashing into your haven of peace.

One story:  An 82-year-old man was chest-deep in water before he knew what was happening.
He climbed in his truck and drove to the highest hill he could find.
After assessing, he was told that his little house would have to be torn down.
But smiling, he pointed to the seat of his old truck and said, 
"At least I saved my favorite hat."  
After he repeated that several times, our CIA team leader told him,
 "We can help you with the process, free of charge...tomorrow"  
His face lit up, and hope was born in his heart.

This cabin, like so many, had to be torn down
So many heartbreaking stories.
The family that lost their lives when their summer home was swept away by the overflowing river.
The town of Wimberley still mourns.
There is no looting because this town stands together as they rebuild.
They are humbled and thankful at the hope that Christ In Action,
and other organizations, have brought to their small town.

CIA will be in Wimberley until July 14.
If any of you have the time, you can volunteer for a 3-day minimum.
You will be fed three hot meals and you will have a place to sleep (AND showers!).
And you will meet the most fantastic, loving people as you work side by side.
Or you can give a donation.
And you can pray.
For more stories, go to


In my next blog, Part 2, I will share our 21-day challenging and fun road trek to and from
Wimberley, Texas.


Until then ... I wish you oceans of summer blessings!




No comments:

On life's journey, whether traveling around the world or walking around your block, there's lots to learn about life, faith, friendship and fun! so lets dive into a new ocean together ... and lets keep that body movin'!