Sunday, March 13, 2011

wRiter's woRld--invest in youRself

wRiting & editing in Belize '10

A ship in the haRbor is safe ~ but that's not what ships are for.
John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic

These words came to me while sitting in church this morning: If no one will invest in you, invest in yourself. Got songs? Can't find a producer? Then create your own CD. Have a story? Can't find a traditional publishing house to publish your book? Then self-publish. Invest.

When I began writing my book in 2004 (yes, I've had a few detours along the way), my husband bought me a little Acer laptop and opened a book account for me. Every Christmas, birthday, or some other special occasion, he deposits a small sum into my BA (book account). He told me, "I beLeaf in you, so I'm investing in you--and your book." Note: Rob's my biggest fan.

So now, years later, as the economy has tightened the world of traditional publishing, I have my little nest egg (BA) to fall back on. It's just enough for me to look into the field of self-publishing via e-books, print-on-demand, etc.

Suggestion: If you plan to make a career of writing--or any other passion you have--put aside a small amount here and there and watch your nest egg grow over the months (for me, over the years!). Invest. And beLeaf.

Note: God invested in us: He gave His son, Jesus, that we may have eternal life and a more abundant life while here on earth. He even wrote a book about it, and its a true story!

Another side note: You don't have to have millions to be abundantly blessed. There are people who would give their millions for peace of mind (don't need to mention names, but I'm sure you can think of a few who make our daily headlines).

As we continue on our journey, let's not forget to invest in others...with a smile, a word of encouragement, a prayer. Investing is good for the soul.

We'll talk more about this later. By the way, I loved your comments from last week's blog--your words are inspirational for all of us soon-to-be authors.

Oceans of blessings, and I'll see you on the Radio!

Love and truth belong to God's people; goodness and peace will be theirs.
Psalm 85:10 NCV

2 comments:

Jennifer Richardson said...

Invest in yourself
...love it!
I tend to be the last person
I invest in.
And boy did I need this today, Sharon!
Thanks ever so much;
good share:)
-Jennifer
P.S. I'm with Rob....I SO believe in you, too!

Sharon Leaf said...

Thanks Jen! Invest, then beLeaf!

On life's journey, whether traveling around the world or walking around your block, there's lots to learn about life, faith, friendship and fun! so lets dive into a new ocean together ... and lets keep that body movin'!