Saturday, February 19, 2011

from MY HEART to YOURS -Part 2


Staying healthy in red so I can sled with Popcorn (oh, oh, we're heading straight for the pond!)

February is Heart Month so let's continue talking about our hearts. Have no fear, ladies! Good health is within reach!

Here are "Life's Simple 7":
  • Get Active. The AHA (American Heart Association) recommends physical activity of at least 150 minutes (moderate intensity) or 75 minutes (vigorous intensity) each week. (does sledding count?) I added Zumba and invited Jane Fonda to walk with me so I'm feeling better and looking good...or am I feeling good and looking better?
  • Control your cholesterol. Shoot for total cholesterol of less than 200 mg/dl. (My cholesterol is high so I'm working on this).
  • Eat more healthfully. Fruits & veggies help control weight & your blood pressure. Eat fish twice a week & choose lean meats & poultry without skin (this is hard for me 'cause I love southern fried chicken!). Select fat-free, 1 percent fat, & low-fat dairy products.
  • Manage your blood pressure. Aim for blood pressure below 120/80 mm Hg.
  • Lose Weight (ugh!) Shoot for a body mass index ogles than 25. For help in calculating you BMI, log on to mylifecheck.heart.org.
  • Reduce your blood sugar. Even when glucose levels are under control, diabetes greatly increases the risk of heart disease & stroke. Most people with diabetes die of some form of heart or blood vessel disease.
  • Stop smoking. Now.
Have you heard enough? Don't worry, we can do this together. Start slow. But start. For me being post-menopausal with a thyroid problem, and 65, it's an up-hill battle to lose weight, but I'm determined to stay healthy so I can enjoy the next 25+ years.

My next blog will include heart attack warnings, signs, & symptoms, and when to call 911. Until then, keep calling on Jesus, and start walking those extra steps!

I stride freely through wide open spaces as I look for Your truth and Your wisdom. Psalm 119:45 The Message

3 comments:

Jennifer Richardson said...

Thanks for the tips! I'm checking into that bmi thingy....glad to have that info. I like striding freely thorugh wide open spaces looking for truth and wisdom with you:)
-Jennifer

Sharon Leaf said...

Go for it Jen! Go find that bmi thingy! You'll feel so much better afterwards. Why? Because you are so worth it!

Nancy said...

I am with you 100%.........It's just hard when you get older.....but I am with you and I am working on it.....thanks for the information and caring enough to share it with us.......

Let's set a date and have a celebration party......celebrating our healthy temple for the Holy Spirit.........maybe we should start a blog and share and encourage each other.....what do you think?

On life's journey, whether traveling around the world or walking around your block, there's lots to learn about life, faith, friendship and fun! so lets dive into a new ocean together ... and lets keep that body movin'!