Friday, October 9, 2020

"From Challenge to Change to Courage...God's Master Plan" for your life! Lesson 5

 "From Challenge to Change to Courage...God's Master Plan" for your life!

Lesson 5

by Sharon Leaf

Our first home in Fort Mill, South Carolina...Snow!!!  2006
A view from our upstairs veranda. We lived on a pond.

Today's women are facing many Challenges.  Challenges that call for Change.  Speaking from experience, I can tell you that Change can be scary, but as we trust in the Lord we realize that God allows Change for our benefit.  However, when we're going through these Challenges and Changes we sometimes 
cannot see the forest for the trees.  
But when we allow God to direct our path, 
Courage comes on the scene ...

then anything can happen!


Part 1 ~ Understanding the Will of God ~  God's Perfect Will vs. His Permissive Will

   God chose us before we chose Him.  It is a divine concept that we humans have been given a free will to run our own lives.  God wants us to choose Him, not by force or coercion, but by love.  One of the many ways He shows us His love is by giving us the freedom to handle our destiny.  For Christians we are told in God's word that our steps are directed by the Lord.

Man's goings are of the Lord.  Proverbs 20:24

    We can do good deeds and good works.  We can live morally and properly.  We can reach people in helpful ways.  A determined spirit can be good, but not perfect in doing the actual tasks we are called upon to do.  Actions that are under God's permissive will may be good, but it is different than acting in God's perfect will.  To follow God's perfect will, we take the time to listen, then hear, and then act.

   Self efforts are deceiving, though they may look and feel wonderful.  Few choose to wait for God's perfect direction, but it is here that the Lord is glorified in us, and self becomes dead.  It takes greater wisdom to seek the Master for divine direction.  This wisdom lifts up God so that others are drawn to Him.  When God's perfect will is carried out in our work, our daily tasks, it is anointed.  Non-believers marvel at the results, and believers bask in the glow as they see the touch of God on the task.  Why has God given us free will?  What is the difference between God's permissive will and His perfect will?

   Waiting on God's direction brings clarity to confusion.  How do you perform God's will in your daily tasks?  You must wait for His direction on even the smallest steps  Waiting allows harmony among your workers, among your family.  Waiting allows perfection on the task as God's perfect will flows.  God gives His glory to those who wait.  As He arises within you, you will know it is Him, for He is the one who anoints.

   Rob and I were convinced that God's perfect plan for us was to move to Sweden to attend a year of Bible school.  So, in planning we made a two-page 'to-do' list, and then we sat before the Lord and presented the list to Him.  Daily, one item after another was met--our visas were processed in record time, two round-trip airfare tickets and school tuition were paid in full, warm coats for Sweden't freezing winters (remember, we lived in Southern California where shorts and t-shirts can be worn year round!) were given to us.  The list went on and on.

   Then there were the times when the list looked impossible.  One night when I was packing boxes for storage, I blurted out, "What are we doing?"  I sat down in the middle of the bedroom floor and asked, "Lord, are you sure this is your perfect will for us?"  As I sat awhile and quieted my spirit, I heard a still, small Voice answer.  Yes.  That's all I needed to pick myself up and continue packing.

   Our faith in God increased before we ever set foot on Swedish soil because we trusted God and had to exercise our faith each step of the way.  Have you had one of those Are you sure, God? moments lately?  What did  you do?


Part 2 The WHO Test to find God's Will

Call unto me, and I will answer thee, 

and show thee great and might things which thou knows not.

Jeremiah 33:3

   "WHO do you say I am?" and "WHO do you serve today?" are the questions that help us know if we are drawn to God's perfect plan.  Do you see it?  

    W--wait;  H--hear;  O--obey.  

   You can use the WHO test to find where you are in God's will on a specific matter.  As David spoke in Psalms how he had fellowship with God, so can we!  This usually comes by your personal experience with the living God.  I refer back to the dear old babushka.  If I had hurried out the door, I would have missed a divine appointment scheduled by God.  Instead, I stepped out of my plan and stepped into His glorious plan.  I think I received more out of that encounter with Miss Babushka than she did.  I can't wait to see her again some day to find out!

  How can you apply the WHO test to a current situation in your life to stay within God's will for you?  When has God positively affirmed an optimistic outcome to you?  How did it make yo feel?


Part 3 ~ Prepare for Service

   There are many gestures of kindness we can give to those around us who are in need.  Look around.  Listen.  Hear.  Obey.  We may never know how that kind word or gesture changed the atmosphere of that person in need.  I experience this almost daily since we downsized to our villa on Lake Murray.  We are surrounded by young and old who need an encouraging work OR just someone who will listen to them.

   Can you recall a time when someone reached out to you and touched you?  God knew you needed that touch, that encouraging word.  He asked someone to come to you, and that person listened, heard, and obeyed.  That is total teamwork.  


My friends gathering at my "Le Artist's Studio"
Janet (Popcorn), Jennifer, and Maribeth

   When I first moved from California to South Carolina, I felt lonely.  I had left my dear friends behind to obey God with a new adventure.  From west coast to east coast, all decided within a few months.  But God always provides.  One Sunday I recognized my neighbor at church.  She could have smiled, chatted, then politely walked away.  Instead, she asked for my phone number!  She reached out to me!  I had a friend!  A friend to laugh with, and who gave me wise counsel when I was going through some hard times.  Her name is Janet and I shall never forget her warm, kind heart.  She soon introduced me to her sister Jennifer and a sweetheart of a gal, Maribeth.

   Now, can you recount an instance where you committed to serving others in their time of need?  Think about it.  Pray about it, and I'll see you next time!  We have five more lessons to go, so until then ...

Whether near or far,

Keep reading,

and keep that body movin'!



http://www.amazon.com/author/www.sharonleaf.com

http://www.sharonleaf.com



No comments:

On life's journey, whether traveling around the world or walking around your block, there's lots to learn about life, faith, friendship and fun! so lets dive into a new ocean together ... and lets keep that body movin'!