Monday, June 10, 2019

The Runaway

The Runaway

Our days are identical suitcases ~ all the same size ~
but some people can pack more into them than others.

When wRiter's Block hits ... close the laptop and run away!

A little over a month ago I had been writing my heart out
until my eyes crossed and my tummy growled, begging for food.
I only had time to indulge in another cup of coffee.

I love when God gives me the words that flow from my heart,
to my brain, to my fingers, and on to my computer.
If you're an artist, you know what I mean ...
... the juices start flowing.
You're fearless!

But when that mean ol' writer's block comes a knockin',
what do you do?
Hide?  Stay in bed?  Go shopping?  Not me.
 This Lady Traveler shuts down the laptop, backs away from her desk and ...
hits the road!

This happened recently,
so I dropped this suggestion on Robinski over morning coffee.
"Lets go to Texas!"
"Uh, sure, okay.  When?"
"Next week, before we sell Moon River."
Our motor home had been for sale for over a month.
A few bites, but no sale.

Memories of our last chapter.  Ready to turn the page for the next chapter. 
We had no longer hung our clothes, stored some food in the pantry and frig,
and locked the door of our beloved RV,
ready to leave the next morning for the lone star state, when, out of nowhere,
a gentleman vacationing from Idaho took one look at her, and wham!
Our beloved RV was sold.
So, what did we do?
We unloaded clothes and food,
re-loaded clothes in our car,
and hit the road for Texas the next morning as planned.
Good-bye writer's block!

I love our road trips, but this trip was definitely different than most.
We were usually in our motor home towing our Ford Escape.
This trip we were driving our red car.
Confession: I began having RV withdrawals.
Rob wasn't asking me to check my "RV Parky" app for rest stops or fuel stops.
I missed 'sitting up high' over the traffic on I-20 west with
Popcorn sitting on my lap.
(she stayed home in a kennel that spoils her rotten).
No more fixing BLT sandwiches at rest stops.
But I kept these emotions to myself.  Why?
I glanced over at Robinski.
He was really having a relaxing time cruising down the interstate in our red Escape.
"Why do you look so happy?" I finally asked.
"No stress," he quickly answered.

I then realized that with all the fun and adventure we'd experienced,
the responsibility that had been on his shoulders
these past 4 1/2 years had been heavy.
"Hey, lets pull over and have lunch at that Mexican restaurant," he added joyfully.
He didn't have to worry about finding a parking space large enough for our home-on-wheels.
Can all you RV owners agree to all of the above?
Note: Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade a minute of our hours on the road,
but lets face it, there are moments when you ask,
Why did I buy this monster?
Cruising down one of many interstates across the USA ~ 2015-2019
We had a wonderful two-week-Texas-vaca' on the road
visiting family and friends,
stopping by Magnolia Table in Waco, Texas ...
and staying in hotels,
unloading overnight bags, and
eating lots of complimentary breakfasts of
bacon, eggs, OJ and coffee.
Note: when looking for hotels online, read the reviews.
For me, I always make sure a hotel is rated high for clean and safe.
The Hampton Inn is good for one-night stays, or longer.

Home sweet home on Lake Murray
I returned home refreshed, but tired.
Then came the head cold.
Pray. Rest. Don't spread germs. Stay home. Rest.
Now, a week later, I'm getting back to normal,
and the writing bug has returned.
Yesterday I finished my June blog for the website
Retirement and Good Living (soon to be published)
This morning I'm writing my Lady Traveler blog.
Now my eyes are starting to cross, and my tummy is crying out for food.
More coffee and rest, then I'll continue adding a few thousand more words for
Lady on the Run.

So, if you're getting any kind of block,
back away for awhile.
If you can't take trip, then take a walk.
Outdoors does wonders for your body, soul, and spirit.

Until next time,
I wish you oceans of safe summer blessings!
And remember ... keep that body movin'!

Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.
Psalm 90:12



No comments:

On life's journey, whether traveling around the world or walking around your block, there's lots to learn about life, faith, friendship and fun! so lets dive into a new ocean together ... and lets keep that body movin'!