Friday, May 5, 2017

Lady Traveler taking a long, beachy walk to the Surfside Pier - Part 2

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.

Broken Pier.  Broken Promises
Surfside Pier after Hurricane Matthew 2016
Returning to Surfside is always nostalgic for me.
Loving the present, and remembering the past.
After we set up camp at Ocean Lakes on Sunday,
I took the long walk to the Surfside Pier.
How wonderful it is to walk without pain, thanks to my new bionic knee.

As I approached the familiar pier, I noticed her damages.
Boards were torn off, her sidings down, and the end of the pier was literally demolished.
The pier was closed.
I later found out that her injuries were caused from Hurricane Matthew
that fiercely blew through the area last September.

Her injuries reminded me of my own knee injury.
Thank the good Lord that mine was repaired and better than new.
This is what I wish for the old Surfside Pier.

I stood for a long time, thinking of the memories that old pier represented.
It was the summer of 1961.
Flashbacks of ...
My Uncle Jimmy Bobo fishing off the end of the pier,
My young brother's first kiss at the end of the pier.
My hand-in-hand stroll with a 15-year-old tall Texan to the end of that pier.
(sorry, I'm not giving any further details).
And my cousin who eventually married a young man who worked at The Pavilion.
So many memories of fun in the sun with my family and new friends.
Two years later, my parents gave me a graduation gift:
a trip on a Greyhound bus to Surfside, South Carolina.
Much fun! More memories. And a few broken promises.

I smiled as I took the long walk back to Ocean Lakes,
thankful for my life, my husband, my family, my friends.
So much to be thankful for.
Even my memories.  

Eating breakfast at Surf Diner on the Surfside Pier, SC
Remembering.
And oh yes, delicious food and beachy atmosphere!
Until next time,
I wish you oceans of wonderful present memories.


To those who use well what they are given, 
even more will be given,
and they will have an abundance.
Matthew 25:29

www.facebook.com/sharonleafwriter
www.sharonleaf.com

No comments:

On life's journey, whether traveling around the world or walking around your block, there's lots to learn about life, faith, friendship and fun! so lets dive into a new ocean together ... and lets keep that body movin'!