Saturday, August 31, 2013

Summer's Past, and Summers Past


Flying to Belize

One cannot collect all the beautiful shells on the beach.
One can collect only a few,
and they are more beautiful if they are few.
I usually travel during the summer, but this year I told Rob that I wanted to hang around Leaf's Lake House and relax.  I made a commitment to myself that I would spend August relaxing, reading, wRiting, and swimming.  And of course visiting Rob's mother who has been in the hospital, now in physical therapy, soon to be admitted to a nursing home.  Through it all, she keeps her sense of humor and love for God.  But now that summer is winding down, I'm feeling a little sad because I've enjoyed these past weeks so much.

The weather here in the south has been unpredictable with more rain, clouds, thunder, lightning than usual.  But each time I'd glide into the swimming pool, I would look up--eyes protected with UV sunglasses--into the cloud-filled sky to find the sun shining through, right over the pool.  Smiling, I continued lapping.  One afternoon there came a cloudburst, but no thunder and lightning.  Swimming in the rain with my sunglasses protecting my eyes from the pounding rain felt like a delightful outdoor shower.  My summer of tenacity voted me Esther Williams of Golden Hills.  Like I always say, it's never too late!  Sixty-four-year-old Diana Nyad can vouch for that! (she just completed swimming from Cuba to Florida!)

Summer is winding down, but I'm feeling invigorated as Autumn breezes slowly approach.  I will replace swimming with long walks and SaSuBe dance classes.

A Tip to all of you out there in Lady Leaf Land:  take care of your body, soul and spirit.  You'll feel--and look--much better when you do.

How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!
We're I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand.
Psalm 139:17-18

I wish you smooth sailing through Fall and oceans of blessings!

Brother's house in Zion
Ahh, Zion National Park

U.S. Whitewater Center
Charlotte, NC

www.sharonleaf.com

1 comment:

Jennifer Richardson said...

I love how you take care of your
body and spirit:)
well done, you....I can just
feel the peacefulness
of your lapping:)
-Jennifer

On life's journey, whether traveling around the world or walking around your block, there's lots to learn about life, faith, friendship and fun! so lets dive into a new ocean together ... and lets keep that body movin'!