Monday, December 3, 2012

The Simplicity of the Season

My 40+ year-old nativity
Unto you is born this day in the city of David, 
a Savior which is Christ the Lord.
Luke 2:11 KIV

During a simple worship song at church yesterday,
I was touched by the loving kindness of Jesus.
My thoughts wandered back to a night in a little southern Baptist church
when I was eight-years-old.  
Someone tugged at my heart.  It was Jesus, asking if He could come in.
With childlike faith, I said yes, and He has been there ever since.
There have been times in my life when I have ignored His presence,
but eventually I always returned to my safe harbor.  

Someone recently told me that I am living the good life, and I agree.  
But like everyone, I've had hard times.  
Single and pregnant at nineteen.
 A failed marriage at twenty-one; another failed marriage at thirty-eight. 
My mother dying at the young age of sixty-six when I was forty.  
And all the tears and mistakes in between.  
But by God's grace, I am still walking with Him, trusting in Him.  
After all,  Jesus is my best friend.

A few random thoughts:  
With the Christmas season upon us, I ask you, has God ever tugged at your heart?  
Take some time in the busy-ness of the Christmas season to get alone with God 
and share your heart with Him.  
Ask questions--I've been asking for fifty-nine years.  
Sometimes I get answers, sometimes I don't.  
Doesn't matter.  
I trust in the Lord with all my heart and choose not to lean on my understanding.  
After all, we're not as smart as we think we are.  
And I'm asking you to please stop looking at us Christians who have let you down, 
act like we don't care, even act holier-than-thou, oftentimes not realizing it.  
We're not perfect, so don't let us stand in the way of God's love and 
His wonderful plan for your life.

I'll write more later, but at the moment, I have a tired patient on my hands.  
Rob had shoulder surgery last week and his body is still in the process of getting back to normal.  And that's what Nursie Leaf is for--to give him drugs, meds, and lots of TLC! 
(sounds like a rock n' roll song to me)

Until next time,  I invite you to give Jesus a chance to tug at your heart.

I wish you smooth sailing and oceans of blessings for the Christmas season.  
And remember ...

Jesus is the Reason for the Season
John 3:16

Popcorn is looking for Rob
Christmas 2012


5 comments:

Deborah H. Bateman said...

Sharon,
Thanks for sharing this post. It is thought provoking and inspiring. I hope your patient is feeling much better soon and take care of yourself as well. Being a nurse can be tiring. I know, I had to take care of Alex when he broke his back. Hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas.
Blessings,
Deborah H. Bateman-Author

Jennifer Richardson said...

i grew up with that same nativity scene....so sweet:)
love to you and Rob
and that holy tug,
Jennifer

Sharon Leaf said...

Deborah, Rob is doing better each day. Jen, I bought it at a home party. I can't believe it's still in one piece.

Buffy said...

Thanks for sharing your heart, Sharon. What a gorgeous tree and fireplace. So glad Rob is doing better.
Merry CHRISTmas!
Buffy

Sharon Leaf said...

Thanks, Buffy! I'm looking forward to interviewing you on The Gate Beautiful blog talk radio show on December 20th at 1:30pmEastern.

On life's journey, whether traveling around the world or walking around your block, there's lots to learn about life, faith, friendship and fun! so lets dive into a new ocean together ... and lets keep that body movin'!