Sunday, October 21, 2012

Just call me Autumn Leaf!

Each of us may be sure that if God sends us on stony paths He will provide us with strong shoes.



"The autumn leafs rush by my window, 
the autumn leafs of red and gold ... "

As the leafs* are slowly changing colors (*my favorite way of spelling leaves), so is my mood.  I get an extra oomph in my step as I gather sweater and leash to take Popcorn for a brisk walk.  Evenings are my favorite times to go for a stroll,  spying the fireplaces ablaze in my neighbor's homes, glancing at the harvest moon shining down to brighten the path down our culdesac, then heading home to spend cozy evenings tucked under my throw blanket as I watch (for the 10th time) You Got Mail.  Ahh, autumn.

This is the first autumn in our Lexington, South Carolina home.  The geese and the turtles in the pond, the bunnies, squirrels, and deer romping on the golf course and in our backyard entertain us anew each day.  This past week I threw a wild party for Rob's 65th birthday and the neighbors couldn't complain because they were all here.  And having Tom and Jacquie living ten minutes away enables them to join in each celebration, which is as good as all the southern comfort food that surrounds us.

Zion National Park, Utah 2012
I recently spent a week in Utah with my brother and his wife while visiting my 90-year-old father, and once again I realize the importance of family.  As care giver to Daddy and to Rob's mother, we both are faced with the reality of how fast time flies and how important it is to live life to the fullest for as long as we can.  Our health is fragile and we need to do our best to take care of the bodies that God has given us (no complaining about the odd shapes and sizes, please!)  I have written blogs about heart and cancer issues, and I will take some time in the near future to write about the baby-boomer generation of care givers.  Yes, Rob and I have arrived (and you will soon enough), and honestly, as challenging as it is at times, I wouldn't trade the time I spend with our parents for anything.  We should give thanks to God for the time we have left with our loved ones.  But I'll write more about that later, so until then, I wish you smooth sailing and oceans of blessings!


I have not stopped giving thanks to God for you.
I always remember you in my prayers.  
Ephesians 1:16 NCV

No comments:

On life's journey, whether traveling around the world or walking around your block, there's lots to learn about life, faith, friendship and fun! so lets dive into a new ocean together ... and lets keep that body movin'!