Monday, September 17, 2012

Rose, Reality, and Roads less traveled

Rose is the main character in Lady and the Sea

Life is what we are alive to.  It is not length but breadth ... be alive to ... goodness, kindness, purity, love, history, poetry, music, flowers, stars, the written word, God, and eternal hope.

I learned a lot about myself while writing about Lady and the Sea's main character, Rose (Rosie) Atkisson.  Go ahead, write a short story, choose a main character, and write away.  You'll soon discover many emotions, fears, dreams, and hopes that you have hidden deep inside of you.  I imagine the more you write, the harder it will be to put down your pen, or push yourself away from your laptop.  You'll be anxious to return the next day to find out where your character is going to take you.  Next door?  Down the street?  To the local cafe?  To another country?

With so much going on around us, here at home and around the world, life is not as dependable as it was in days of old.  I find myself longing for having just a day in the little two-bedroom house on Ibbetson Street with my mother, father, and brother ... had to share bedrooms, wait in line for the bathroom, stand over a floor heater in the mornings before heading out to school.  Okay, enough.  I admit that I have been a bit nostalgic lately.

I must keep this short, as I am finishing an essay that will be published on my author friend's Expat Chat blog.  Title?  "I Sailed the Seven Seas on a WWII ship and Lived to Tell About It"  Very true.  Read my novel, Lady and the Sea (based on my true story).

No matter where you are, what you are doing, take a moment to be thankful for the little things.  Call a family member who you haven't talked to in awhile (email and Facebook doesn't count!).  Hug a tree.  Kidding.  Hug a neighbor.

I wish you smooth sailing and oceans of blessings for the week ahead.



May our Lord Jesus Christ Himself and God our Father, who loved us and by His grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word.  2 Thessalonians 2:16-27NIV



2 comments:

Jennifer Richardson said...

oh I felt this, Sharon,
all the way to my toes.
I feel that way sometimes too
these days...just wishing for
one more carefree afternoon
in my old girlhood room
to just lie on the floor
and look up through the windows
at the leaves on the trees
and dream big dreams.
I still dream them, those dreams.
But to have that quiet space
to myself
was a luxury I didn't feel
until now.
I'm so grateful for memory.
Love to all the Rosie in you
and to every part of your living,
Jennifer

Susie K. Adams said...

Sharon, it is a delight to spend time on your blog and website. I'll have to revisit often. God bless you as you encourage others with your smile, your beautiful photos and writings.
Susie K. Adams

On life's journey, whether traveling around the world or walking around your block, there's lots to learn about life, faith, friendship and fun! so lets dive into a new ocean together ... and lets keep that body movin'!