Sunday, August 19, 2012

Diving, Floating, and pRocrastinating

Diving headlong into my writing in Belize '08
Floating in Belize '08



When I write, I dive headlong into the work as into a river, where I swim for my life or, depending on the tenor of the story, float on my back, gazing at clouds. ~ Jan Karon, author

   A few random thoughts on diving, floating, and pRocrastinating.  I do all three, but mostly the latter, especially when it comes to my writing.  However, the more I think about it, I'm that way in my everyday life.  If I love an idea, I dive headlong into the river, forgetting to eat and drink, sometimes suffering from dehydration.  When I'm living in the now, I float along thinking of only the moment with no care of time.  On the other hand, if I have to do something that I fear, or I'm not certain of how it will turn out or how much time it will take, I pRocRastinate.  I can think of a hundred things I must do first--laundry, swiffer floors, scare frogs off the patio, or watch one of my favorite old movies.  I waste more time pRocrastinating.


   But I'm changing, proving that you can teach old dogs new tricks.  I'm now diving headlong into those challenging projects (calling Medicare regarding my father's insurance--staying on hold for 30 minutes is no fun; canceling Weight Watchers online--what a joke; and of course writing the next chapter of my book).  



   So, what are you pRocrastinating about today?  Why don't you try diving headlong into that challenge or fear?  And when you do, you'll find that you'll have much more time to float on your back and gaze at the clouds.



Happy floating!  


No comments:

On life's journey, whether traveling around the world or walking around your block, there's lots to learn about life, faith, friendship and fun! so lets dive into a new ocean together ... and lets keep that body movin'!