Sunday, May 6, 2012

What brings you joy?


Yesterday's guest speaker at our Literary Luncheon in Rock Hill was Merry Taylor of Taylor and Associates.  She is a motivational speaker so of course she asked us a few questions that got us to thinking.  What brings you joy?  What are your goals?  Why do you write?  or paint?  or cook ... fill in your blank.  I was forced to reflect.  Besides God and family, my thoughts brought me back to my recent debut novel, Lady and the Sea.  

I wrote Lady and the Sea because there was a story that took place in the 90's that needed to be told.  It was not my story to keep.  I was compelled to share it.  Lady is not a fantasy or a fairytale.  It is a true story of finding faith for forgotten dreams while sailing on the World War II vessel MS Restoration.  The ship's Swedish engineer finds an American wife.  A father-daughter relationship is restored.  A vision comes to pass for a captain and his wife.  A woman overcomes her fears to fulfill a dream to serve God in a foreign country.  An old World War II ship stored in moth balls gets a second chance to sail the seas when she is assigned to transport Russian Jews from the Black Sea to Israel.  The dream of over 1,500 Russian Jews coming to pass as they arrive safely in their Promise Land of Israel.  And much more.

My goal to write and publish Lady and the Sea is my legacy.  If I never publish another book, I am satisfied.  Now, my present dream and goal is to place Lady in the hands of those readers whose lives will be changed and challenged by the story.  I have no agent or publicist, but I have the Lord (II Chronicles 32:7-8).  I guard my heart against comparing myself with other authors.  I rejoice with them when they share their victories, knowing that they are celebrating with me when I share mine.  

No matter what brings you joy, may you continue to sail on to yet another personal goal and victory.


The signposts of God are clear and point out the right road.
 The life-maps of God are right, showing the way to joy.  
Psalm 19:7-8

publicist goals joy vision Lady and the Sea

3 comments:

David Haas said...

Hi,
I have a quick question about your blog, do you think you could email me?
David

debra123 said...

Just watched your LADY AND THE SEA YouTube Video. Nicely done ...was that you singing in the background?

Jennifer Richardson said...

and a beautiful legacy it is:)
and I have this feeling,
you have only just begun.
sooooo much more still waiting
around the corner for you
...the best, in fact.
I just have a feeling:)
-Jen

On life's journey, whether traveling around the world or walking around your block, there's lots to learn about life, faith, friendship and fun! so lets dive into a new ocean together ... and lets keep that body movin'!